Sacramento, CA, January 27, 2016 – Sacramento Environmental Commission (SEC) invites you to participate in the Environmental Awards Program. Let’s recognize and show appreciation for those of Sacramento County and its cities that give back to the environment and encourage others to do the same!
This award program is open to any citizen, business, or organization based within Sacramento County that has demonstrated outstanding efforts to improve the environment - either for a single project, multiple projects/programs or voluntary initiatives within the past calendar year (2015).
Get your submission in early! The deadline is March 18, 2016.
Get the Awards Nomination Information and Application Form at: http://www.emd.saccounty.net/SEC/Pages/EnvironmentalAwards.aspx
Examples of programs/projects include, but are not limited to:
- Use of integrated pest management to minimize the use of chemical pesticides and herbicides
- Pollution prevention and green purchasing
- Expansion of reduction of waste by using less wasteful practices, reuse and recycling efforts
- Implementation of projects to encourage alternative transportation
- Expansion and protection of green space for natural and recreational uses
- Protection and enhancement of wildlife and associated habitats
- Installation of energy and water conservation measures
- Tree planting and management
- Invasive species management projects
- Stream monitoring and restoration programs
- Promoting neighborhood stewardship of local natural resources
- Environmental education programs
- Creation of baseline information on quality and quantity of natural resources
- Promotion of green building (LEED standards) in public and private development
- Proper pet waste and litter disposal
- Environmental Management Systems
- Greenhouse gas emissions reductions
- Generation of purchase of alternative energy
- Other innovative environmental enhancement ideas or projects
The SEC Awards Committee will evaluate applications based upon program effectiveness and innovation. The SEC is especially interested in learning how groups are expanding their efforts from one year to the next for multiyear projects.
Awards will be presented by the SEC at a special awards ceremony on Monday, April 18, 2016, during a televised SEC meeting held at the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors Chambers.
For additional information, please check the SEC website at http://www.emd.saccounty.net/sec/ or contact Jill Koehn at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (916) 875-8584.
The Sacramento Environmental Commission (SEC) was created by the County Board of Supervisors and City Councils in 1988 with a broad charter to provide information, analysis and advice to the elected officials on environmental issues, and to provide assistance and advice to the Environmental Management Department on environmental programs. The appointed members come from diverse backgrounds, frequently representing environmental law, community advocacy, environmental regulation, industry, and land use planning among their areas of expertise and interest.